Property Search
Tenant Type

Property Alerts

Tenants FAQ


Any supplies of electricity, gas and water will be transferred into your name on commencement of your rental contract. They will be your responsibility throughout the duration of the tenancy.

Telephones and Internet?

When moving into your rental property, you will normally be responsible for making your own application to BT or another supplier for any phone or broadband connection you require. You will be liable for all telephone bills relating to the time you occupy the property.


Your rental payments should be made monthly in advance, usually by standing order from your bank or building society. Any additional costs or charges should be paid before commencement of the tenancy.


One set of keys per tenant will be issued on commencement of the rental agreement. You are responsible for ensuring the property is secure and locked at all times when no one is at home. All additional household keys will be marked and left in the kitchen. UniGaff also retains a set of keys to the property.


All electrical and gas appliances including fridges, freezers, ovens, hobs, dishwashers, washing machines etc., should be clean, serviced and in good working order. Your landlord is responsible for complying with any applicable safety regulations. Service contracts, warranties and guarantees may be held on certain appliances by the landlord.

Council Tax?

The tenant is responsible for making payments to the council for tax charges. This can be paid monthly or annually by cheque, standing order or direct debit and should be arranged directly with the council. The tenant is solely responsible for any charges that may occur as a result of non-payment. Students in full time education are usually exempt from council tax.


If the rental property includes a garden, the tenant is responsible for keeping it in good order during their lease. The landlord should have provided appropriate tools for lawn cutting, weeding and the maintenance of any trees, shrubs or flowers present.

Fire Regulations?

All furniture supplied will conform to the 'Fire and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) (Amendment) Regulations 1993'. The law states that gas equipment must be checked annually by a registered Corgi installer and records of this must be available on request. Either the landlord or management company will arrange these checks.


You must ensure that your household insurance policy covers you as a tenant. UniGaff will be able to help you find a policy that suits your needs.