Property Search
Tenant Type

Property Alerts

Landlords FAQ

Permission to let?

If your property is mortgaged, permission to rent is required by your mortgage company, unless the property is under a “buy to let” type mortgage. cannot be held responsible for any claims made against you by a tenant due to consent not being granted.

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO’s)?

The Housing Act 2004 defines a HMO as a property that is:

      •      occupied by 3 or more people, forming 2 or more households, sharing amenities e.g. bathroom and kitchen
             facilities, or

      •      converted into self-contained flats, but does not meet the requirements of the 1991 Building Regulations and
             less than two thirds of the flats are owner occupied, or

      •      occupied by 3 or more people, forming 2 or more households in a converted building that is not entirely
             self-contained. e.g. a basement flat with shared accommodation with a maisonette at ground & first/second
              floor levels.

As with all rented accommodation, HMO landlords need to ensure that their properties are in good repair and well managed.

Landlords also need to consider the issue of fire safety. Due to the way in which they are occupied, often by people who do not know each other, there is a greater risk of a fire in an HMO than in other houses. Additional measures such as fire doors, half an hour separation between rooms, fire alarm systems and fire extinguishers will be required in some HMOs.

In 2009, the requirements for fire safety measures were reviewed following the publication of new fire safety guidance in England.

Welsh councils have adopted their own interpretation of this guidance which applies to all rented accommodation: rented family or single person homes and HMOs Just what is required for each HMO is based on a risk assessment made by Swansea council officers when they inspect the property. This is based on the size and layout of the property and how it is occupied.

There should also be suitable and sufficient kitchen and bathroom facilities.

More information can be obtained from the City and County of Swansea website on the link below.


We will ensure that electricity, gas and water are transferred into the tenants name from the commencement of the lease. Final accounts can be forwarded onto you or we can pay them on your behalf. Please advise us in writing if you would like the electricity disconnected during vacant periods.


You should request a closing bill from BT or your usual supplier before leaving your property. Tenants should make their own applications for a phone and/or broadband connection. Please advise us in writing if any phone/wireless connection is included within the monthly rental received.


Rent is received monthly and in advance and transferred to your account or sent by cheque, less our fees and any payments you request us to make for you.


You must ensure that your household insurance policy covers your property for lettings to students.


You should supply a set of keys to each tenant and one set to All keys in our possession are coded, constantly checked and kept under secure supervision. Any additional household keys should be marked and left in the kitchen. Please ensure that all keys work smoothly.


All electrical and gas appliances should be clean, serviced and in good working order. They must also comply with any applicable safety regulations. Service contracts, particularly for central heating, are recommended. If a property is vacant, fridges and freezers should be defrosted and left off with their doors open.

Audio Visual Equipment?

If televisions, videos, hi-fi equipment etc. are left in the property, it is the responsibility of the landlord to maintain them. When the television licence expires, it is responsibility of the tenant to renew it. Whether or not a TV is left, an aerial is essential.

Council Tax?

If the tenant is liable for payment then it is the tenant’s responsibility to pay council tax whilst in occupation and the landlords when vacant.


The property should be in good decorative order throughout with appropriate furniture and accessories.

Income Tax?

If you reside abroad, the Inland Revenue holds us responsible for the payments of any tax liability from rental of your property. In this case, income tax will be deducted at basic rate from any rental payments we make to you. To avoid this, you can apply for a tax exemption certificate. These are available from or the Inland Revenue. If the property is jointly owned, a certificate is required for each individual.

Fire Regulations?

All furniture supplied must comply with the “Fire and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) (Amendment) Regulations 1993. We require completion of our information sheet on fire regulations, indemnifying us from any actions or consequences of a breach in these regulations before a tenancy can commence.

Gas Safety?

The law states that gas equipment must be checked annually by a registered “Gas safe” engineer and records of this must be available on request. can arrange these checks on your behalf if requested.


always aims to provide the best solution to suit your management needs within your budget with our very competitive fee structure. Why not contact us to request further information or to arrange a meeting with our lettings management specialists.

Alternatively please complete a Registration Form and send it back to us and discover what we can do for you.